Ahh, Dallas. 33 miles separate my city of Fort Worth—big city with a small town feel—with the beast that is Dallas. The two cities have always felt so far apart to me, both in geography and in mentality. It was always so hard to justify the trip out to the bustling, buttoned up, serious Big D when there is already so much to do in laid back Fort Worth. That is, until I discovered the art of the Staycation! I mean, who doesn’t love a mini trip in their own backyard?? The drive East on I-30 doesn’t seem quite as daunting with the promise of being able to explore the cute hotels, fun restaurants, and a good bar hopping scene that Dallas has to offer! So, I thought I’d share a few of my fave things to do for a quick weekend trip!
Where To Stay
- Aloft Dallas Downtown – from $170/night – I’m a sucker for a boutique hotel. Give me some exposed brick, fun colors, and a building that used to be something else and I am SOLD! Aloft has all of that PLUS its giant windows make it really fun to leave the curtains open at night and enjoy the bright lights of the big city from your extra comfy bed.
- NYLO Dallas South Side – from $141/night – The rooftop pool!!!!!!!! This place might just have the best view of Dallas. Set aside in the trendy South Side area, you can see the entire city’s skyline from the infinity pool/bar combo that rests on top of the building. If you stay at the hotel, you HAVE to set aside a day just to relax, swim around, and take in the view and a sunset here.
Aloft Dallas Downtown
NYLO Dallas South Side
Where To Eat
- Filament – Southern-sytle food in the trendy neighborhood of Deep Ellum. The restaurant has a really cool atmosphere and is beautifully decorated with lots of exposed brick. I’m sensing a theme in my interior decorating tastes here but I’m not sorry about it! Ohh…the grits here are goooooood.
- Mac’s Southside – Late night pizza at its finest! Mac’s is a great neighborhood bar in the Southside, only a few blocks from the NYLO hotel. The pizza is perfect for a [guilty pleasure] after bar snack, but their Srirancha (Sriracha Ranch) is to DIE for! Would it be gross to stick a straw in and drink it? Probably.
What To Do
Ok, so there are a million things to do in Dallas. Here are just a couple of spots that I’ve explored that are fun to check out.
- Southside Ballroom – This is a really fun, slightly intimate music venue. I’m not kidding when I say that I’ve seen acts from Ed Sheeran to Lil Wayne perform here…and both were equally as INCREDIBLE! Southside Ballroom is pretty small (it holds about 4,000 people) but it typically hosts some high profile performers. Pro Tip: The bars along the side of the venue get REALLY crazy, so either fill up on your drinks before the concert begins or spring for a VIP ticket that includes exclusive bars and standing areas.
- Deep Ellum – Wander round this hip, east-side neighborhood. There’s always live music to find somewhere on these streets.
- Spa Habitat West Village – massages start at $80 – The perfect way to unwind from that fast-paced Dallas lifestyle! All of the eating, drinking, shopping, and more that the city has to offer will leave you ready for some serious zen time. This is the perfect place!
Your turn! What are some of your favorite spots to check out in Dallas?